General FOIA Request Form
FOIA Document Request
The confidentiality of communications sent via the Internet cannot be guaranteed and the electronic submission of your Freedom of Information Act request is purely voluntary.
You may also print the contents of your request and submit it via fax at 202-606-5345 or via U.S. mail.
- Fee categories. Fees shall be determined in accordance with the following categories of requesters.
- Commercial use requesters will be assessed charges to recover the full direct cost of searching for, reviewing for release, and duplicating the records sought. This includes the full direct costs of computer production programming, searching and production of records. Commercial use requesters are not entitled to 2 hours of free search time or 100 free pages of reproduction of documents, as described below.
- Educational and non-commercial scientific institution requesters will be assessed charges for the cost of duplication alone, excluding charges for the first 100 pages. To be eligible for inclusion in this category, requesters must show that the request is being made under the auspices of a qualifying institution pursuant to the criteria in paragraphs (a)(6) and (a)(8) of this section, and that the records are not sought for commercial use, but are sought in furtherance of scholarly or scientific research.
- Requesters who are representatives of the news media will be assessed charges for the cost of duplication alone, excluding charges for the first 100 pages. To be eligible for inclusion in this category, a requester must meet the criteria in paragraph (a)(7) of this section, and the request must not be made for a commercial use. A request for records supporting the news dissemination function of the requester shall not be considered to be a request that is for commercial use.
- All other requesters will be assessed charges to recover the full reasonable direct costs of searching for and reproducing records that are responsive to the request, including costs of computer production programming, searching and production, except that the first 100 pages of reproduction, and the first 2 hours of search time shall be furnished without charge.
- In no event shall fees be charged when the total charges are less than $50.00, which is the Agency cost of collecting and processing the fee itself.
- Waiver or reduction of charge. Documents are to be furnished without charge or at reduced levels if disclosure of the information is in the public interest; that is, because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the Government and is not primarily in the commercial interest of the requester.
- Fee payments. Payments shall be made by check or money order payable to “Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service” and shall be sent to: Director, Financial Management Staff, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, One Independence Square, 250 E Street SW, Washington, DC 20427.