Mission and Values
FMCS’ mission statement reflects the statutory intent of the Agency. Our mission is to:
- Promote the development of sound and stable labor management relationships;
- Prevent or minimize work stoppages by assisting labor and management to settle their disputes through mediation;
- Advocate collective bargaining, mediation and voluntary arbitration as the preferred processes for settling issues between employers and representatives of employees;
- Develop and advocate the art, science and practice of conflict resolution through the use of ADR;
- Assist parties in conflict through the provision of conflict resolution services; and
- Foster the establishment and maintenance of constructive joint processes to improve labor-management relationships, employment security and organizational effectiveness.
Reflecting our mission statement, our commitment to a viable collective bargaining system, and the benefit of effective conflict resolution processes as a foundation for society’s well being and economic growth, this value statement embodies our core principles:
- Relationships are critical to the success of an organization; they affect creativity, productivity and adaptability, as well as the quality of workplace life.
- Poor relationships and communication represent a substantial barrier to achieving the kind of process innovation and high performance work organization demanded in the current business climate.
- The Agency’s core mission of mediating and facilitating the resolution of workplace disputes and problems requires absolute neutrality, confidentiality, and acceptability to customers.
- In order to have maximum impact and to meet statutory obligations, the Agency must focus primarily on organizations and matters having the greatest effect on interstate commerce and/or public health and safety.
- Collaborative, problem-solving approaches to the resolution of conflict should be cultivated and encouraged whenever possible.